Sunday, January 11, 2009

Bandera 2009

What a race!! What an awesome, butt kicking race. I registered for the 100k wanting to run better then I did last year. This was a very realistic goal, because I ran last year underprepared for that mileage and without electrolytes on a hot day. But I all told, my mental game got me through with a good finish of 11:25. This year, things had potential to go awesome for me. But I pushed my body too hard in training, didn't allow myself adequate recovery time from injures, and ended up toeing the line of this 100k VERY untrained. But I had to try. All year long my biggest running goal has been to run under 11hrs on this course. I know I am very capable of doing it. But the training needs to be there. After running an easy 50k in 5:15, I was ready to quit. My ankles and knees were hurting on the down hills in a way that I could tell was warning of injury. My body just wasn't ready to take the pounding that course gives it. Too bad. Yesterday was just a great day for that course in so many ways. The ground was dry, there was a little cloud cover, and the high was only in the upper 50's. The only draw back was the wind gusts on the flats. But I had to give it a go. I am glad I did. Knowing I wasn't ready beats wondering if I could have done it.
A giant congrats to the female winners. Marcy Beard (1st) just ran awesome. She gutted out that second 50k, passing the 2end (Liza Howard-11:48) and 4th (Bridget DeLaRosa, also under 12hrs) place females. Melissa Heggen just rocked all day, scoring a PR in the 11s and placing 3erd female. GO LADIES!!!!! That course kicks butt, and you gals kicked its right back!!

1 comment:

sr in tx said...

Melanie,

You ran an amazing 50k. No doubt you'll go sub 11-hrs. at Bandera in the 100k - this past weekend just wasn't the time. It was great to see you again. Happy recovery to you.

Shan