Saturday, April 4, 2009

The past 2 weeks

I've been so busy lately that I haven't had time to post much about what is going on. So here is a recap of the big events of the last two weeks.

My little brother, Brent, had heart surgery last week. The surgery took longer then expected, but went well. It was supposed to be an out patient surgery (crazy to me!). He needed to lay flat on his back and stay very still for 4hrs after the surgery to allow the arteries where the catheters were put in to close. But someone made a mistake. I'm not sure why, but before his 4hrs had passed, his nurse wanted him to sit up and eat. When he sat up, he started losing blood. For the next 8 or so hours, he was loosing blood. His heart rate kept dropping, and they were having a hard time getting it back up with saline. When all was said and done, Brent was doing well. He was able to go home after about 24hrs in the hospital and was feeling ok. Weak and tired from the blood lose, but doing well.
Hopefully the surgery fixed Brent's arrhythmia. But we won't know for sure for a few more weeks.

Currently my Father in Law is in the hospital. This past Sunday evening he went into the emergency room with what was first thought to be heart failure. He has a bad heart, and has been in the hospital for his heart before. It is funny to me to write "bad heart". My Father in Law has a wonderful heart, nothing "bad" about it. "Weak" is likely a better choice of word. But 5 days and many tests later, they aren't sure what exactly is wrong. The cat scan showed TB or maybe fluid on the lungs. Both of those have now been ruled out and he is feeling better, though not good. Last night we were allowed to take our kids to see him. He looked and sounded pretty good, but they still had him on oxygen. A little scary for me, given my past experience with loosing my Grandma.

It is as official as it will get before it actually happens. We are moving to CO! I am super excited!!! I just can't believe it...

No comments: