Sunday, November 1, 2009

Cactus Rose 2009

Once again waiting at the airport. Another booked flight that I am hoping to get on. I want to see my husband and little treasures!!

This trip has been great. I had a great time at Cactus Rose and loved getting to spend a lot of time with my parents and little sister. Even the weather was quite lovely this weekend.

Unfortunately, Cactus Rose didn't go too well for me. About one month ago, in my quest to find the perfect true trail shoe for Cactus Rose, I made a mistake. I order the New Balance 100's- a great looking, minimal and yet hard core trail shoe. Straight out of the box the shoes felt great. So I decided to wear them for the first time the next day on my long run. I was planing to run 50 or so miles on trails that had sections similar to the Cactus Rose course. After running out for about 10.5 miles, my Achilles was feeling tender. I stopped and tried to double over the cuff of my socks to relive some of the pressure on my heel. I also decided to head back to my car and change shoes. At the time I thought it was just a friction thing. I didn't want bad blisters on my heels. But by the time I ran another hilly (climbs) 6 miles, I knew it was more then just a blister issue. My Achilles was seriously hurting. Running dilemma: do I bag the run "just in case", or do I change shoes and run on. Mentally, I HAD to run on. I had cut too many long runs short in the last few weeks to cut this one down to 22 miles. So I changed shoes and decided to run at least 35 miles- hopefully 40 or even more if I was doing OK. I ended up running 40 miles, which my left heel didn't like but my right heel was fine with. Two days later, Tempo Run day, my Achilles was still hurting and tight. I decided to skip my run in favor of resting my heels (I like the word heel better the the word Achilles). I also stopped running hills at this point because I could feel my Achilles acting up after running hills. And I only work my T5's because they were the only running shoe that left my heel pain free and feeling great. I knew that I needed to have this Achilles in top form to race on the Cactus Rose course- this course is TOUGH stuff. Not a typical trail by any means. I also knew I was walking a line by training this way. If I stopped running, I would feel like crap racing a 100 miler. If I kept training my heel might not heal 100% by race morning. For me, the choice was easy. As long as I could run pain free and feel great after running, I was going to run. The catch was that any time I pushed on my left Achilles, it hurt a little. Not bad, mind you, but I knew it wasn't 100%. Also, even walking around in my trail shoes irritated it. Still, I knew I had to play it safe in staying off the hills and in the T5's while still taking a chance and training on....

When race morning came I felt ready to run, but I knew my heel was still iffy. I started off as planed at a comfortable pace that didn't feel overly slow. I finished the first 25 miles in about 4:35. My pre-race plan was to start comfy for loop 1 (25 mile loops), run the hills for loop 2, push the flats for loop 3, and give it what ever I had left for loop 4. I started loop 2 feeling pretty good- my left hamstring was tight, but I was hoping it was more of a loosening up issue then pain. When I started into the first set of hills on loop 2, my ham got tighter. Grrr...but I wasn't ready to give in yet. I changed my plan. Keep the ups easy and run the "flats". No problem, b/c it felt great to stretch my legs on the occasional non-hills. The problem came when I began getting nausea on the up hills. At first I thought it was something I ate. But after a few hills I realized I was only nauseous when my heel was hurting...not good. I began taking a close physical inventory of my body. By mile 35 I realized my left leg was getting worse in a bad way. By mile 40 I knew I wasn't going to finish 100. I struggled with what to do. Should drop at the 50 or run until the limp I was developing became pronounced? I didn't want to quit! I don't want to give anyone the idea that I back out when the going gets tough...I love racing because it is tough! I love pushing into my physical limits and doing more then my brain or body wants me to. But I also want to take care of my body. Push it hard, yes. Damage it badly, no. And Achilles tendons aren't good to mess with. If I am injured then running on would be stupid, and I am injured...but I could probably make 60 miles before I HAD to drop out.

By the time I reached mile 45, I had settled on dropping at the 50. I was 100% positive I was out of the 100. And if I stopped at 50, I would take 1st place in the 50mile race for my team. In all honesty, I felt a little guilt winning the 50 miler. I know logical I won it. I was the first female to finish the 50 mile race. But I hadn't raced it...I was planing on racing the 100 and things just went bad. But I still finished first...Oh the internal battles I was having.

All told I had a great time. Joe (the race directer and my coach) is awesome. He puts on great races and this one is up on the top of the list of his races. A hard course that is totally honest and full of fun people to run with. And there were plenty of unofficial volunteers helping out the runners at the aid stations, too. Seeing so many runners in costume was a blast! I got to spend lots of time with my parents and sister. And I am hoping I had a great 50 miles training run for Bandera 100k in January.

Now I am home. I made it on the flights I needed to to get back last night. Time to do laundry, clean floors, and find a good sports doctor to visit so I can start training again!!

7 comments:

DavidH said...

Congratulations on the 50 mile finish! Good luck in your healing journey and maybe see your out at Bandera 100km. I am currently training for my first Bandera/Rocky adventure. :)

aniejoy said...

Thanks David!! Come say hi at Bandera in January and good luck with training.

K Alex said...

Okay.. so I was in the 50 that you said you were feeling a little guilty for winning.. Whether you were registered for the 50 or not... you were still kickin.. it! No guilt there sister! This was my first 50 and it was awesome. I loved seeing you ladies up in the front as I made the loop to my first 25 miles!

Moogy said...

Oh crap...I'm recovering from Achillies tendonitis AND I just bought the MT100s.

aniejoy said...

Thank you Alex!!!! Congrats on your 1st 50. :)

Moogy: Sports doc said it was the shoes, but IS NOT my Achilles. And maybe the shoes will work for you...everybody is so different. I have a bursitis type thing going on b/c of how tight the shoes squeezed my heel (and it took me about 22 miles to stop running in them...)

Olga said...

Melanie, to me you were a breath of fresh air - besides Joe and Joyce you were the next most freindly person to me, don't ask, but you made my evening before the race. That said, your contagious smile also made the world brighter next 2 loops! So, congrats, darling!

aniejoy said...

Thank you Olga! It was great seeing you again and congrats on another great 100mile finish. :)