Monday, February 22, 2010

What next?

Woo-hoo!! Dan has a new job!!!!!!!!!!!!! He got an offer from a company he had been doing contract work for, accepted their offer, and became an official employee this past Monday. Happy days for us! I feel like 2 tons are lifted off my shoulders. :)

Also in this past week, I decided to train for the next 13ish months for the 100k. But not just any 100k. I want to train hard, risking crossing that line that separates the fit athlete from the injured athlete, and see how fast I can run the Mad City 100k in 2011. The Mad City 100k is this year, and likely will be next year, the USATF 100k championship race. Meaning it draws the fast runners and offers prize money. I'm running it this year on April 10th to have a solid point to train from. And let me just say, I AM PUMPED! This past weekend I did a 31 mile training run with 4 10k intervals at what I would call an "engaged" pace. A pace I could have held longer then the 31 miles I ran, but I'm not at the point of racing a 100k and hitting those splits right now. The whole 50k, warm thru cool down, took me 3:52. Super exciting! I ran almost right at a 7:30 mile average for 31 miles and ended the run feeling good! Like I could have run much faster! Woo-hoo! Sure it was a flat 50k, but it was fast and felt good. The next day I ran 16 miles (on a treadmill at 1% incline-that is my normal TM run incline) in 2:02:40 and that run felt super easy. I exercised self-control and didn't allow myself to push the pace until after 13 miles...and then I forced myself to take a super easy .5 miles for a cool down. So I will race the Mad City 100k this year and plan on running faster next year. This year will be all for fun, as I have absolutely no expectations going into this race. Goals? Of course! But I know that my goals are very un-solid. I've never in my life tried to run a pace that felt anything other then easy for more then 26.2 miles. And I haven't raced a marathon in years. So that makes this year all fun. I can't wait to see what happens, take the results and plan for next year!!

No comments: